New from TI: Two flyback power solutions for high-voltage applications
New flyback power devices with PSR achieve sub-30-mW standby power for 5- to 100-W adapters and offline power supplies
DALLAS (Mar. 14, 2014) – Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced two flyback power solutions that achieve the highest energy efficiency and lowest standby power consumption for 5- to 100-watt AC/DC power supplies. The UCC28910 700-V flyback switcher and UCC28630 high-power, Green-Mode controller expand TI’s leading portfolio of flyback controllers covering the complete power range of AC/DC adapters and power supplies used in personal electronics, printers, white goods and smart meters.
Combining high density with high efficiency, TI’s UCC28910 switcher with integrated high-voltage power MOSFET achieves the industry’s best stand-by power consumption for 5- to 10-W designs and features the lowest constant-current output tolerance of 5 percent, providing an accurate, maximum current across different input voltages. Additionally, the UCC28630 controller’s ability to support primary side regulation (PSR) technology improves reliability in 10- to 100-W power supplies. For samples, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28910-pr or www.ti.com/ucc28630-pr
The UCC28910 will be demonstrated in TI’s booth #805 at the Applied Power Electronics Conference and Expo (APEC) in Fort Worth, Texas, March 17-19.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28910 and UCC28630:
- Highest efficiency: The UCC28910 achieves 80 percent average efficiency in 7.5-W designs and 78 percent efficiency at a 10 percent load. The UCC28630 achieves greater than 88 percent average efficiency in 65-W to 130-W designs, and industry-best 87 percent efficiency at a 10 percent load.
- Lowest stand–by power consumption: Meets and exceeds European Commission (EC) standby regulations, including the IPP 5-star mobile charger rating of less than 30-mW power performance for no-load, stand-by power and the EC Code of Conduct (Tier 1 and 2) for 5- to 10-W designs (UCC28910) and for 30-W designs (UCC28630).
- Improved reliability: Both flyback solutions support primary side regulation and eliminate the need for an optocoupler feedback circuit to increase reliability.
Tools and support
Speed time to market with using any of six fully tested PowerLab™ reference designs using the UCC28910:
- PMP9045 – 85VAC-265VAC Input for 5V, 7.5W low-cost, small flyback
- PMP9171 – Primary-side regulated flyback for Universal AC Input and 15V, 0.25A output
- PMP9115 – Primary-side regulated flyback for universal AC input and 15V, 0.33A output
- PMP9061 – Primary-side regulated flyback for universal AC input and 16 V, .25A output
- PMP9176 – Ultra-wide input voltage range AC-DC buck converter
- PMP9053 – Universal 3-phase, AC input with 3.3V, 0.5A output (functional isolation)
PMP8583 – Universal input to 12.2V at 500mA non-isolated quasi-resonant flyback
Availability and pricing
Samples and production quantities of the UCC28910 and UCC28630 will be available in April 2014. Available in a 7-pin SOIC package, the UCC28910 is priced at US$0.75 and the UCC28630 is priced at US$0.60, in 1,000-unit quantities. The UCC28910FBEVM and UCC28630EVM are priced at US$99.
Find out more about TI’s Isolated power management:
- Follow #TIdoesAPEC on Twitter to keep up with what TI is doing at APEC, including videos of demonstrations, Power House blogs and not-to-miss technical sessions.
- Check out TI’s extensive line of adapter power solutions.
- Read the Power House blog “PowerLab Notes: How to Simplify an AC/DC Adapter Design.”
- Visit the TI E2E™ power forum to search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.